torstai 1. heinäkuuta 2010

Finally!

The Finncon 2010 programme is finally here! :D I've been waiting for it for so long... This is going to be my first Finncon, so I'm excited about it. Here's what's going to be going on:
Finncon 2010 programme

Friday's fine, not much that I want to attend to. Saturday, however, poses a problem: adult fantasy, the debate about whether Avatar sucks or not and the Guest of Honour speech of Ellen Kushner's are all at the same time. Right now I wish I could split in three, because I would love to be there for all of those. But I guess I'll just decide it when the time comes and see which one is most appealing. At least I get to go to the Introduction to Mannerpunk, the one I'm most excited about.
Sunday's more or less fine, though there seems to be the decision between the imaginary creatures of folk mythology and the new coming of vampires, but I can skip either one. Oh, and it seems that the kaffeeklatch with Ellen Kushner is at the same time and the vampire booktips, but I'm not sure if I'm brave enough to go sit in a café with an awesome author and some other fans who are probably smarter than me. ^^;

Another thing I'm really looking forward to is this: destroying genre favourites of our childhood! :D I expect that includes stuff like laughing at the ambiguous lines in Moomins and Biker Mice From Mars and such.

Anyway, I'm hyped. I can't wait! Still about two weeks to go! Luckily it's only a week til Ruisrock and RISE AGAINST!  I'm excited about that, too.

Reading matter. I borrowed Gregory Maguire's Wicked from a friend of mine (in exchange, he got the Lies of Locke Lamora. I'm just dying to discuss that book with someone else than my brother) and I liked it. It's the sort of book that grows on you; I didn't find it beautifully written like Kushner's books, or witty like Lynch or Wilde, but there was something that drew me. The musical is coming to Helsinki, and I'm definitely going to see it, even though I've understood that it's not quite the same as the book. I also plan on reading the sequels, Son of a Witch and Lion Among Men.

But right now I'm going through Kushner's Swordspoint, and I have my fingers crossed I'll get Fall of the Kings from Science fiction flea market at the con. And I'm planning on reading all the Harry Potters again, because after reading some fanfiction I fell in love with it again.

I guess that's all for now. The July has begun, and adventures lay ahead. (Only 20 days until I get to know whether I got into University or not!)

~Wilzo

PS: Digged up the list of possible actors for the characters of Privilege of the Sword:
  Lord Ferris - Alan Rickman/Daniel Day-Lewis
  Lucius Perry - David Tennant
  Lydia Fitz-Levi - Jennifer Love-Hewitt
  Alcuin - Orlando Bloom
So I obviously didn't get all my ideas right in the last post. ^^ I'm still trying to figure out who would be a good Mad Duke or St Vier, though I think Day-Lewis would be a great Alec if he was a bit younger. Or maybe John Malcovitch? (I seem to like St Vier the most, so it's hard to think of anyone who would be good enough.)

I also forgot to tell that I went to see the Finn-Brit Players production of the Dangerous Liaisons. It was unbelievable, I enjoyed myself immensely. I'll be sure to see them again when they get the next play out!

UPDATE 11/12/10: What on earth have I written "Lydia Fitz-Levi" in both this and the last update? It's Artemisia Fitz-Levi, Lydia is a Godwin! >.< 

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti