tiistai 27. heinäkuuta 2010

You'll Only End Up Like Rimbaud - Get Shot By Verlaine

I took a look at the pictures I took at the con - they're bad, so I won't post them here. The only decent ones were taken back at Helsinki, and are of the signed books. But, because Photoshop decided to hate me today, you won't see them, either. Maybe when my brother comes back I'll post them, PS likes him better.

But now I'll tell you about the little pile of second-hand books I bought when we went exploring all the little shops and flea markets with my friend. The thing about doing that is that it's very dangerous; there are so many interesting, beautiful, old, cheap books that you can't possibly buy all of them. My mission was to find a copy of Pride and Prejudice, which I did. It's so beautiful! <3 I also found the Professor by Charlotte Brontë, a book I had never heard of. Such beautiful cover, I fell in love instantly!

I'm looking forward to reading it. I also bought Dangerous Liaisons by de Laclos and the Wizard of Oz, though these two are in Finnish. (For some reason I don't have a pic of them, I think I remember the light being bad...)

My bookshelf is getting fuller and fuller. ^^; There's a gap at the moment, what with both my Lynches absent and the removal of - and I'm very smug about this, too - one of my entrance exam books. I didn't like that book. Too bad I can't burn it, it's a tad too valuable.


There are the Finnish books, also. And the CD I bought at Jyväskylä! The latest record by the Loved Ones, Distractions. Good punk, methinks. I'm exceedingly happy about how my Riverside-books look like now.

Under Privilege of the Sword there's the Tenant of Wildfell Hall, a copy from 1923 that my dad gave me. It's delightfully pretty, like most old books. Under that, there's the Albatross Book of Living Verse. I've never been big on poetry, but for some reason I find 1500-1800's English poetry interesting. In that book I found a poem of John Suckling's that reminds me of Twilight and thus makes me giggle:

Why so pale and wan, fond lover?
Prithee, why so pale?
Will, when looking well can't move her,
Looking ill prevail?
Prithee, why so pale?

Why so dull and mute, young sinner?
Prithee, why so mute?
Will, when speaking well can't win her,
Saying nothing do 't?
Prithee, why so mute?
Quit, quit for shame! This will not move;
This cannot take her.
If of herself she will not love,
Nothing can make her.
The devil take her!

So there's a few words of wisdom, Jacob Black. Think about that.
Oh well. I finished Austen's Emma a couple of days ago, and then devoured Maguire's Son of a Witch practically in a day. I think I started from page 74 yesterday and was finished with the 500 pages by 1:30am.  So now I've got only the Mammoth Book of Paranormal Romance to go before I can get my claws on the Fall of the Kings. After that I think I'm either going for Joe Abercrombie's the Blade Itself (something I've been meaning to read for almost a year...), Maguire's Lion Among Men or the re-reading of the entire Harry Potter series. We'll see.


But now I gotta go take a shower and then head to the bank to pay my University membership stuff. Ugh, I hate banks.

Anyway, I'll be back with movies, since we're having a movie night tonight and I watched the Omen yesterday. Oh, and I also saw the Disaster Movie and (FINALLY!) Star Wars episode III.

Bye!

~Wilzo

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti